Why do I need a Baby Thermometer?
Babies tend to fall sick during their first year and they have no way to tell their parents how they feel and that they are not well. All they can do is cry when they suffer from flu or other sickness. This might be heartbreaking as well as pretty dangerous.
The one and only best solution to this problem is buying a good, accurate baby thermometer. If you don’t have one yet, you should get one as a baby’s thermometer should be any parent’s arsenal.
But the problem is that you just cannot run out and buy any old thermometer. There are thermometers that are especially made for infants and provide accurate readings. Some of the infant’s thermometer is discussed below.
- Temporal artery thermometers: These types of thermometers are new in the market. They are most expensive lot of thermometers. They fall under the forehead thermometer category. These thermometers make use of infrared technology to measure and scan the temperature of the temporal artery on the forehead. It is the safest kind of thermometer for your kid and is convenient to use. They give accurate readings are often used in many hospitals. It works accurately for children who are 3 months and older. For children under 3 months, you need to double-check the temperature with a rectal thermometer for better accuracy.
- Rectal thermometer: They are considered to be one of the most accurate thermometers to check a baby’s temperature. The ones with a flexible tip and a wide base are comfortable and vital for checking temperature of infants. They are like the digital thermometers which comes with an on and off button feature, a digital screen and a probe. Using it to take an oral temperature on a baby is highly not recommended.
- Ear canal thermometers: These types of thermometers are easy to use and are readily available in the market. It is best suited for children who areover 4 months old. You simply place it in the ear and get an accurate reading. It should be avoided for children who are younger than 4 months because their ear canals are too narrow. This would prevent from getting an accurate reading.
- Oral thermometers: They are completely safe and easy to use and give accurate reading. You simply place the thermometer under the infant’s tongue for a few moments. This gives out the reading. It is recommended for children above 4 years.
There are certain things that you should consider before buying any baby thermometer. Some of them are discussed below:
- Consistency: It is always recommended to choose a thermometer that is consistent because nobody wants the reading to be different if taken the same time over and over again.
- Accuracy: This the major factor for any kind of thermometer you purchase for your baby. Whenever you detect a fever in your child, make sure that you have an accurate thermometer so that the temperature you’re getting is correct.
- Complexity: This completely depends upon the thermometer. Some of them are operated by the touch of a single button whereas some of them come with additional buttons and features. These thermometers allow saving the readings and you also display the history details. It is not necessary to buy the complex ones. When it comes to babies, simple is the best.
- Speed: Babies tend to have low patience level and start to wrangle whenever you start poking or prodding. Holding on the thermometer for too long can make your baby impatient and these results in getting an inaccurate reading. Thermometers which record the temperatures are recommended over the slow ones.
- Sound and backlight display: There are some thermometers which make a noise once the reading cycle is complete. Whereas there are a few thermometers which come with a backlight display and make the temperature reading visible when during night. This prevents you from switching on the light and disrupting babies sleep.